Everything you need to know about liver health
World Liver Day is observed on April 19 to raise awareness of liver-related conditions and to ensure liver health. Every day, the liver secretes about 800 to 1000 ml of bile, which contains the salts necessary for the digestion of fats and removes waste products and toxic materials from the blood. If the liver is damaged, it must be treated in time; delay can cause liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
According to the WHO, about 10,000 Indians are diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver every year. As India struggles with an upsurge in liver disease, adopting naturopathic practices in daily life can greatly help our population to maintain a healthy and toxin-free liver.
Everything you need to know about liver health:
- Liver disease is among the top 10 causes of death in India, with fatty liver emerging as a growing cause of liver damage.
- Jaundice, sudden weight loss, decreased appetite, nausea and vomiting, general weakness and/or fatigue, right upper abdominal pain or abdominal swelling.
- Coffee is one of the best beverages you can drink to support liver health. Studies have shown that drinking coffee protects the liver from disease, even in those who already have problems with this organ.
- Fries and burgers are a bad choice to keep your liver healthy. Eat too many foods high in saturated fat and it can make it harder for your liver to do its job.
- Too many sweet things can harm your liver. This is because part of its job is to convert sugar into fat. If you overdo it, your liver produces too much fat, which ends up lying where it doesn’t belong.
- Avoid contact with infected blood or other bodily fluids as this can spread the hepatitis virus.
- Avoid sharing razors, razor blades, toothbrushes, etc.