Include These 5 Foods In Your Diet To Improve Liver Health
According to the World Health Organization, liver disease is considered the tenth leading cause of death in India. Working from home and long hours of sitting resulted in reduced physical activity and increased unhealthy eating. These lifestyle changes can adversely affect the liver and put undue stress on the organ. Fortunately, there are a number of simple foods that can help boost the immunity and overall health of this versatile organ in our body.Also Read – Moringa, Millet, and Other Superfoods You Can Add To Your Daily Diet For Better Health
The liver is one of the largest organs in our body and is responsible for a plethora of functions, such as managing the intake of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. It is also responsible for removing harmful toxins from our body and controlling the production of several proteins and fats to manage the proper functioning of the body’s organs. Also Read – Everything You Need To Know About Gluten Free Grains And Their Many Health Benefits
Sharanya S Shastry, Chief Clinical Nutritionist at Apollo Spectra Hospital in Bangalore, shares foods to include in her daily diet to maintain good liver health: Also read – Do you want a toned body? Ranbir Kapoor’s fitness mantra is all you need, watch the video
- Garlic – Garlic contains a mineral called selenium which helps cleanse the liver and remove enzymes and toxins from the liver. Garlic is also high in allicin, vitamin C, and B6, making it a favorite food for liver health.
- Beet – The antioxidants found in beets prevent the liver from oxidative damage and inflammation and also help increase natural detoxifying enzymes.
- Green leafy vegetables – It is essential to add green leafy vegetables to our daily diet because they are rich in nutrients and contain potassium, magnesium and manganese. It helps to aid the liver by neutralizing heavy toxins and harmful chemicals in the body.
- Berries – Blueberries, raspberries and cranberries contain antioxidants called polyphenols which help regulate our immune system. They protect our liver from damage by increasing cellular response and lowering levels of inflammation.
- Citrus – Citrus fruits contain high levels of citric acid, potassium, and vitamin C. They improve energy levels, reduce inflammation, and enhance liver detoxification. Studies have shown that citrus fruits containing antioxidants act like a medicine to protect the liver against all odds.
A healthy diet and a sleep routine are crucial for overall health, including the efficient functioning of the liver. Including certain foods that work in favor of the liver and help the organ work better can be beneficial in maintaining a healthy immune system. These are readily available and can be consumed regularly as part of a normal diet to avoid undue stress on the liver.