Liver Health Diet: 10 Foods That Can Do Wonders For Your Liver | Health
The liver performs some of the most important functions in the body, from regulating chemicals and digesting food to producing bile to flush out waste and breaking down fat in the small intestine for digestion. The liver also helps in the production of cholesterol and special proteins that help transport fat around the body. The liver also stores iron and regulates blood clotting. (Also read: Liver cancer deaths expected to rise more than 55% by 2040: Research)
Liver disease is caused by a variety of factors, including poor eating habits, alcohol consumption, and genetic conditions that can damage the organ. However, liver problems can be managed with healthy lifestyle changes. Yellowish skin and eyes, swollen legs and ankles, itchy skin, nausea or vomiting, fatigue, loss of appetite are some of the signs of a liver problem and should be treated at the earliest.
Dietitian Manpreet Kalra in her recent Instagram post talks about 10 foods that can support liver health and when and how they should be eaten in a day.
1) Beet: Kalra suggests adding this nutrient storehouse to your salad because it’s an excellent source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C. According to studies, the juice of beetroot can help protect the liver from inflammation and oxidative stress. and increases its ability to remove toxins from the body.
2) Green tea: The dietitian suggests having 1 cup of green tea in the evening around 4-5 p.m. According to a Japanese study, drinking 10 cups of green tea a day can improve blood markers for liver health.
3) Olive oil: It can be used in salad dressings. Studies show that olive oil can reduce fat in the liver and also improve blood circulation.
4) Milk Thistle: It is a flowering herb that is commonly used to treat liver disorders and gallbladder problems. Kalra suggests 1 capsule of milk thistle before meals to prevent liver problems.
5) Cruciferous vegetables: Add vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage in your meals to improve liver function and liver enzyme levels.
6) Nuts: 1 walnut soaked in the morning can do wonders for your liver health. According to studies, the walnut helps reduce fatty liver disease.
7) Turmeric: Eating turmeric is also considered beneficial for liver problems. Take 1/4 tbsp of turmeric and 250ml of water as turmeric tea around 4pm.
8) Lemon: Kalra suggests having lemonade or squeezing dal/sabji for better liver health.
9) Apple: The fruit is great for detoxification. Having 1 apple in the middle of the meal around 11 a.m. is beneficial.
10) Liver Detox Smoothie: Having a glass of this smoothie for breakfast can detoxify your liver and improve its functioning.
Here is the recipe:
Liver detox smoothie
Cucumber – 1
Mint leaves – 1 handful
Celery – 2 stalks (the leaves will make it bitter)
Apple – 1/2
Rock salt – a pinch
Grated ginger – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – a pinch
Lemon – 1/2
Pepper – a pinch
Sabja seeds – 1 tsp (soaked overnight)
Coconut water – 200ml
1. Wash all the vegetables in fresh water
2. Cut all the vegetables into small pieces
3. Put all the above ingredients in a blender and blend well until smooth.
4. Add a few drops of lemon juice and soaked sabja seeds on top. Enjoy with a smile.
Follow more stories on Facebook & Twitter