Monitor your liver health with a regular SGPT blood test
Did you know that people with cirrhosis of the liver are more likely to contract Covid 19? Well, now you do. Not only does cirrhosis of the liver predispose you to Covid-19, but it also greatly increases the risk of death from the virus. Similar results were found for other liver diseases. Additionally, a rescue liver function is detoxification and blood filtration.
Undoubtedly, liver health monitoring is profoundly important these days. A suitable liver function test routine can save you from investing thousands of rupees in treatment by detecting diseases early. Several tests like SGPT or Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase Test exist to help in this regard. Let’s see in detail the test and its role.
What is an SGPT test?
A SGPT test is a type of blood test that gives you the amount of glutamic pyruvic transaminase in blood serum. Blood serum is nothing but blood plasma, excluding the cells responsible for clotting.
GPT is an enzyme found in kidney cells, liver, muscle and cardiomyocytes and acts as a catalyst in many processes. This protein is conducive to monitoring the condition of the liver. The test discerns several factors such as:-
- The level of vulnerability to the development of liver diseases
- Speculate whether the liver suffered damage or functioned abnormally
- Identification of serious diseases such as cirrhosis of the liver, liver failure, hepatitis or jaundice
An acceptable SGPT blood test the result is between seven units of SGPT per liter of blood serum and fifty-six units.
How is SGPT related to the liver?
SGPT measures glutamic pyruvic transaminase, an enzyme produced in the liver for various vital functions. The enzyme acts as a facilitator and catalyst in the alanine cycle, vital for liver function. The process helps in the following way:-
- It helps to get rid of ammonium ion, which is toxic to health. The ammonium ion is transported to the liver to be transformed into urea.
- It recycles carbon skeletons in the liver.
- It governs the oxidation of hepatic mitochondria in the liver when fasting. The process is essential for delivering glucose to various parts of the body.
Excessive alcohol consumption triggers excessive production of the hormone. The enzyme seeps into the bloodstream and can cause several disturbances in the functioning of the body. Leakage subsequently leads to the development of life-threatening complications in the liver if not treated in time.
When should you take an SGPT test?
The liver function test must be taken periodically to ensure the proper functioning of the liver and the whole organism. If any of the following is true for you, you should take the test regularly with diligence:-
- If you are on cholesterol-lowering medication, your medical adviser will ask you to take the test. These drugs can have unwanted side effects on the liver. Its follow-up therefore becomes crucial.
- If you have ever been exposed to the hepatitis virus, you should check your SGPT levels regularly through a SGPT test.
- If you have a history of liver complications or if your family has a history of liver disease, you may have a predisposition to liver disease. Therefore, it is crucial to test your SGPT level.
- If you drink alcohol or take drugs, your liver weakens over time. Alcohol consumption is one of the main causes of liver damage. Therefore, the test is mandatory for drug addicts.
- Finally, if you are obese or diabetic, routine testing is crucial for you.
If you’re still not convinced about regularly monitoring your SGPT levels with a SGPT blood testHere is a list of symptoms you should watch out for:
- Constant vomiting accompanied by nausea.
- Dark urine or blood in the urine.
- Weakness and fatigue or excessive exhaustion.
How to do an SGPT blood test?
Obtain a SGPT blood test is easy. Take note of the following:
- You will need to stop eating and drinking (even water) 10-12 hours before the test. Therefore, it is wise to test in the morning right after you wake up.
- There are a few drugs that should not be consumed before the test. Therefore, consult your doctor accordingly.
- Avoid wearing a long-sleeved shirt or t-shirt for the test.
Now, after booking the test, you can go and give your blood sample. About 5 ml of blood will be drawn here. The process takes about 10 minutes and is usually painless. Test results come out according to the policy of the institute you contacted.
If your SGPT results are high, you should see your family doctor or doctor immediately. The doctor will prescribe a course of action and relevant tests to determine the exact cause and problem. On a personal level, you need to start consuming foods that are rich in vitamins and nutrients as well as stop using drugs and alcohol. Ultimately, your health is in your hands.